March 17, 2009

Beneath a Marble Sky


I'm reading one of the most mesmerizing books, Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors. It's been a while since I've read a book that I want to savour pleasantly rather than devour till I reach the end. I mean, the last fantastic series I read was the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer and that's more of a page-turner and something that you'd wanna get to the end of, than read slowly. But Marble Sky is so awesome and it's like a yummy Indian flavour that you would just want to relish. It's a fictional story about one of Shah Jahan's daughters, Jahanara who falls in love with the principal architect, Isa, working on the Taj Mahal (one of the most beautiful and awesome architectural wonders of the world). The book is so picturesque and as you read the words, the pictures automatically appear in your mind. It is based on history so there are some interesting facts and Shors has really woven the entire piece beautifully. But like I said before, I haven't yet gotten to the end because I'm savouring each taste as I read it slowly. But pick up a copy, and I think after reading the book, it shall make one's actual experience of the Taj Mahal even more special when they finally see it. I've always wanted to go to Agra to see the Taj but I'm glad I'm reading the book first because it'll definitely hold special for me when I do get the chance to see it in all its pristine glory.
So go ahead, pick a copy when you can, it's guaranteed to make you fall in love with the book, with its characters and the author for writing it so splendidly... A must-read for all kinds of book-lovers, lovers of art and history, too.

1 comment:

krypton02 said...

I finished the book some nights ago and strangely, I didn't feel the deep sense of sadness that I normally do after reading a great book...I feel almost calm, nearly at peace and somewhere my mind is under a midnight-blue sky, gazing at the Taj amidst the glittering stars.