August 17, 2009
The Curious Case of Plagiarism : To be put to the Shredder
Why do we allow copy-cats to ruthlessly take over everything? I mean, come on, for crying out loud, anyone who reads the description of ‘Pa’, a film starring the much-hyped Big B, they will tell you that the storyline is totally lifted from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I haven’t seen the movie yet sadly but I know the many Oscars associated with it and the accolades it’s received of course, for the brilliant portrayal of a man who ages backwards as he grows older. It’s almost like a trophy to be placed in the Hall of Cinema. What I don’t get is why, why, why the hell would anyone want to remake such a legend and what makes that person think that we would want to remember it otherwise? I wish it were a horrible joke but it’s not. It’s so irritating that Indian Cinema does that because what they (Indian Directors) fail to get when watching great movies of the West is inspiration and innovation to think far beyond their spectrum of copy-caticism and make their own films. Seriously. They should focus on what they do best and not take what someone else does best and try to mix it up the same way and showcase it to Indian Audiences. Of course, there are some other Indian Directors who are turning it up a notch with movies like Kaminey (Vishal Bhardwarj)- I can’t wait to watch it, Rang de Basanti, Taare Zameen Par, Dev D., Maqbool (Adapted from Macbeth, adaptations are good to go but make them worth it like Bhardwarj does) etc. That’s what they should do, make their own stories and tell them and let the audiences decide their fate. Not only that, we have the actors to tell your stories as realistically as possible- Abhay Deol, Shahid Kapoor, Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Konkona Sen, Rahul Bose...there are so many more. However, if you’re going to take hits of Hollywood and turn them in to your films and stories, we’re really not interested and we’re not that dumb or acquiescent anymore.
Also, you’re pilfering stories; can’t you buy the goddamn copyrights to reproduce it? And saying things like it’s loosely based on XYZ are just a plain big, fat lie because um, it’s the whole story, word for word, scene for scene. Also, The Hangover, I have not yet had the pleasure to enjoy but apparently now we have another producer at hand who has bought the rights to the film to reproduce it in hindi. Firstly, when there comes a movie like that that you like so much and applaud so much, wouldn’t you want to have it remembered that way? Why would you wanna take a legend and recreate it adding your own two-paise worth to it? Is it necessary just to have audiences like it your way too? Plus what seriously garbled mind-process has led you think that it’s going to be a hit here too? Honestly, if there’s a remake that materializes of The Hangover, it’s going to be a flop. I can tell you that now. And importantly, we have no Vegas here so you tell me, you gonna send the groom off to a make-believe Goa that seems like Vegas or what? Bachelor Parties have only just recently passed on to other cultures, more so each being different that suits different sensibilities. What, really? Don’t be stagnant. Go make real films. We will appreciate. There should be no room for all you story-stealers and you brain-deprived rich folks.
Labels:
Anurag Kashyap,
Big B,
Brad Pitt,
Dev D.,
Oscar,
Pa,
Vishal Bhardwarj
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
the argument for the adaptation/plagiarism: 'because of the movie being in english, it won't be accessible to people who can't speak english. the concept/execution is so awesome, that the directors decided to adapt it to the indian context to extend the target audience. sure, hindi overdubs or subtitles could work, but the context wouldn't be the same, and the effect of the movie would be compromised. hence, the remake. it worked for the remake of ET, so it should probably work for this too'.
of course, the movie makers could fuck it up completely, put most of it in english, hence alienating the hindi people again-chances of this happening are highly likely. but still, you get the logic behind the adaptation.
I understand what you said, Loy but Adaptation and Plagiarism are two very different things. Like I mentioned, adaptation is more than acceptable when you have great movies like Maqbool (Macbeth Adaptation) or Omkara (I haven't seen Omkara but Maqbool was awesome)! Plagiarism is blatant and unacceptable and I totally hate it...because when they say movies are merely inspired by the hollywood ones then it's just wrong, don't you think? Because it just is copy-cat. Eg. Dil Bole Hadippa is, I'm pretty certain, a copy of She's the Man. I understand when there are awesome Oscar winners that Indian directors want to translate or put forth through to an Indian context so that audiences can appreciate it here too but lifting off the whole storyline? Copy-caticism? UNACCEPTABLE by all means. There are very few people who actually buy the copyrights and do it the legal way here. It's shameful and that's what I had voiced out in my post! :)
Even Dostana was loosely based on 'I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry'. If Indian Directors did come up with original ideas of their own, it'd definitely be great.
Post a Comment